BMW M5 Forum

07-16-2024, 05:58 PM   #23
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I was looking into that - do you think it's doable with a couple of 2 year olds in the party? I'd love to experience it but don't want to have a bad time if it's not kid-friendly.
Let me put it to you this way; it's definitely doable with a couple of 2 year olds....depending on your arm strength (to carry them).

Otherwise I would say not which is a shame, because the view from the top is amazing.
Appreciate 1
wtwo318693.00
      07-18-2024, 12:19 PM   #24
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Hey all - haven't been posting on here as often, but I'm back - and what better way than to ask for your advice on a trip.

We're planning to go to Oahu in late October. It'll be 4 adults, a 6 year old, 4 year old, and a couple 2 year olds. The first 5 nights of the trip we'll be staying in Waikiki at the Hilton resort. The final 4 nights we'll be staying at the Aulani Disney Resort.

Any suggestions for things to do or places to eat?
The family and I went to Oahu and stayed at Aulani back in January of 2019. We had an amazing experience. At the time my kids were 6 and 3 and those were perfect ages for the Hawaii disney experience. The swimming area is really calm and you share the beach with the Four Seasons. Then you can walk south there are a couple more beach coves to check out. All the food and restaurant options onsite were great but that was 5 years ago. We did have our kids hang out at the onsite daycare thing one day and that was nice to get a break from the kiddos.

We did rent a car for our entire week there. We ventured to the north side one day to check out a large tide pools area (Sharks cove) and Hale'iwa beach. Another day we went to the east side and went to one of my favorite beaches I ever visited: Lanakai beach. Another day we went on a waterfall hike at Likeke falls; it was short and sweet and easy for the kids. We did not spend any time in the Waikiki area. I don't have any restaurant advice as we spent most of our time at the resort.

One thing to note is that Oahu is the most populated HI island. We learned that it was best to leave earlier in the morning if you want to venture out and check out different spots. After 10am it can get congested in some areas and parking spots can be competitive.

I've been to the 4 main HI islands and Oahu wasn't my favorite experience but it was still amazing. But I don't like seeing lots of people so that was probably why. When we go back to HI we will take our kids to Maui (where the wife and I honeymooned).

If you have any questions on Aulani or Oahu feel free to ask.
wtwo318693.00
      07-19-2024, 03:04 PM   #25
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Will definitely have to check it out in that case! A lot of the adventurous stuff we're holding off on until the kids are a bit older. Right now at 2 and 6 they can be a handful.
Yeah, not ideal for a 2 y/o. We first took our kids when they were 10 and 13. They absolutely love the place. The Big Island is more our speed. Less people, less traffic, chill vibe, etc. The west part of the island is arid, sunny, and warm/hot. The north part of the island is just like the Pacific Northwest and also full of expansive prairies with livestock which seems unreal. Ka Lae in the southwest point of the island, also known as South Point, is like the end of the world. Epic view, cliff diving, the bluest water you'll ever see, etc. The volcano is on the southeast part of the island, and the east part of the island is a rain forest. Tons of beaches everywhere and none are crowded. Snorkeling at every beach is a must. Time it right, a you can even drive up Mauna Kea and stand in snow.
      07-20-2024, 12:17 PM   #26
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Main reason we ended up in Oahu is because we got dirt cheap flights. We did consider island hopping, but decided against it mainly because of the hassle with all the kids. We did Maui back in 2019 and loved it.

I've heard good things about the big island. Definitely will plan to check that out next time we plan a trip to Hawaii.
With that many kids, staying on one island makes a lot of sense. There is so much to do on Oahu you can easily fill up your week. Each island has it's own charm. You've tried Maui already. Oahu is much more crowded around Honolulu. I just like to enjoy each island for what it is and not do too much comparing.

The Paradise Cove Luau is a good one and it's close to where you are staying at the Aulani. You may want to book a reservation for it now.

Have fun! Share photos!
Appreciate 2
wtwo318693.00
JMcLellan2528.00