BMW M5 Forum

07-07-2024, 12:41 AM   #1
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Trip activities

I have family visiting this month for a week and we are doing a circle from Raleigh-Roanoke-D.C.-Charleston-Charlotte. It'll be my mom, 75, two 19 year olds, two early teens and my Golden Retriever. I have a rough idea of what I'd like to do and hoping for any input from anyone that have visited any of these areas

Day 1 - Breakfast in Durham, going through Roanoke, overnight at Mt. Vernon. I think the stops will just be for sightseeing the landscape along the drive and to get out of the car to stretch

Day 2 - A friend suggested taking the rail into DC and renting bicycles instead of taking the car. Probably will leave my mom at the hotel with my dog because she won't be able to be up and about all afternoon. Visiting the Natural History and Air & Space museums, will try to get to the Lincoln memorial. Would like to tour the Mount Vernon memorial at night but it closes at 5PM. Any thoughts for an after dinner activity in the Mt. Vernon area?

Day 3 - Beach day at Virginia Beach and Nags Head

Day 4 - Taking the outer banks ferries and making our way down to Charleston as fast as possible to wander around at night on foot

Day 5 - touring a USS and may try to book a tour of the centuries old houses, otherwise would love some thoughts for this day

Day 6 - driving back to Raleigh via Charlotte. Anything to do or see along the way?

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2024, 05:56 AM   #2
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

If I understand this, night one is Mt. Vernon area, where is night 2?

When I’ve visited D.C., I have always taken the Metro to L’Enfant Plaza and then walk the mall. You’ve got all the big museums along the mall (there are some others in town worth seeing depending on interests), and some gardens and benches for shade. I don’t know your mom’s limitations but she might enjoy going there, then maybe hanging out at a tea room or cafe if she needs rest. Of course if you’re staying that night in D.C., she could check in and crash if need be.

My kids liked the tour of the Mint; I’ve heard the museum of African American history is really good but haven’t been myself. I prefer the Smithsonian and Air and Space, but they’re all interesting.

Where are you for Day 5? Annapolis? There used to be some interesting things there, and a good blue crab restaurant, but it has been 20 years since I’ve been there so someone else will have to update.

Arlington is sobering, but historically interesting since it was Lee’s property and house commandeered by the U.S.

I like the Chesapeake for estuary/nature stuff. Not sure where to get good public access or a boat tour, though (have always gone with others who knew the area).

For the young ‘ups, might watch some videos or movies with key speeches from the Lincoln Memorial (even Forrest Gump), and possibly US Civil War in the area near your travels. Helps bring the place alive.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2024, 06:01 AM   #3
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

It’s not really on your route, but I always enjoyed the tour of Monticello (T.J.’s place), Monroe’s estate also is there in Charlottesville, and I’ve heard it too is good but I’ve not done it myself. Perhaps Mt. Vernon is enough house touring for one trip, tho.
Appreciate 0