BMW M5 Forum

08-29-2024, 12:57 AM   #45
StitChES37
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
When you have a depleted battery this car feels super heavy and slow so you have to keep a battery reserve if you want to have fun with it. Keep in mind car reviews will get the car with a charged battery which adds a lot of power but in the real world you won’t keep that charge all the time.
My strong sense is that 90% of the people that buy this car will charge it at home in their garage. If you cannot charge at either home or work, then no, it wouldn’t make sense to get this car. But at this price point, nearly every owner will have the ability to install a charger at home.

Moreover, I recall seeing a video interview with a BMW rep (head design / engineering / something along those lines) that said the battery will never be fully discharged bc it’ll use the V8 to charge the battery enough for full power when you need it. Grant it - this must have its limit - if you’re hurling around a track lap after lap, seems unlikely the V8 can’t give you max HP and charge the battery a bit at the same time. But again, very few would take this to a track… and for everyday driving situations, you would always have full HP for just about any situation. (Note, I'm certainly no engineer, so someone pls correct me if I’m mistaken).
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2024, 05:22 AM   #46
White340
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitChES37 View Post
My strong sense is that 90% of the people that buy this car will charge it at home in their garage. If you cannot charge at either home or work, then no, it wouldn’t make sense to get this car. But at this price point, nearly every owner will have the ability to install a charger at home.

Moreover, I recall seeing a video interview with a BMW rep (head design / engineering / something along those lines) that said the battery will never be fully discharged bc it’ll use the V8 to charge the battery enough for full power when you need it. Grant it - this must have its limit - if you’re hurling around a track lap after lap, seems unlikely the V8 can’t give you max HP and charge the battery a bit at the same time. But again, very few would take this to a track… and for everyday driving situations, you would always have full HP for just about any situation. (Note, I'm certainly no engineer, so someone pls correct me if I’m mistaken).
On the 45e if you’re driving it in sport mode it will deplete the battery until a certain percentage but that means there is logic to keep the battery charged via the gas engine. On this car there is a difference in power when fully charge and after driving it for a while (all while in sport mode). At all times though you can feel the weight though corners. I’m comparing it to a 2018 m3 comp which weighs 1500 lbs less. The new m5 though weighs the same as the x5 45e..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 07:39 AM   #47
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
On the 45e if you’re driving it in sport mode it will deplete the battery until a certain percentage but that means there is logic to keep the battery charged via the gas engine. On this car there is a difference in power when fully charge and after driving it for a while (all while in sport mode). At all times though you can feel the weight though corners. I’m comparing it to a 2018 m3 comp which weighs 1500 lbs less. The new m5 though weighs the same as the x5 45e..
You cannot fully deplete an HV battery on a PHEV. Between regen braking and software management the system won’t let you. I had a ‘24 XM Base, same hybrid system as this new M5, the weight was kept low to assist with handling. The XM feels much better to drive than an X5 PHEV, handles pretty amazingly for it’s size and 6,000lb weight. I have zero worries the M5 Touring will handle even better.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 07:57 AM   #48
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW F95 X5 M competition

Speed yellow is the best color for this car.