BMW M5 Forum

09-08-2024, 07:48 AM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Home Speakers

About to pull trigger on Sonos for our home, curious if someone else here has already done the research of what setup to go with. Open to other brands but from what I’ve heard - Sonos’s sound is a great mid-$range value for the average home user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 09:08 AM   #2
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I have a bunch of Sonos Play 1's. I have a few sets outside under the eves and I am very happy with them for back ground music. My buddy has a bunch of Sonos as well, he added the Sonos subwoofer and it is his primary listening system. He's very happy with it.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2024, 10:24 AM   #3
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
All depends on how picky your ears are! These are about 1/3 of my speaker stash.
Name:  JBL Basement updated.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  526.2 KB
Appreciate 7
DrVenture861.50
FrankDK179.00
eliphil2585.00
RickFLM411511.00
Bingham276.00
      09-08-2024, 12:23 PM   #4
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
what's the purpose of the speakers?

home audio/tv or music?

can't go wrong with sonos though.
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2024, 12:33 PM   #5
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I have 16 Sonos speakers and have overall been pretty pleased. I have one Sub, an Arc, two Five's, and 12 One's. They get loud enough, but beyond a certain volume (I'd say around 70-80), they start to flatten out, presumably to protect themselves. If you really want volume with fidelity, I'd guess you'd have to go with something truly expensive, which is a market/industry I've never breached... the one where receivers are made by manufacturers I've never even heard of... much like luxury watches. I'd highly recommend the Subwoofer (or even two). They updated the app recently, which was a total fiasco, but it is slowly improving.

Also highly recommend cabling each speaker if you are able. Wireless works fine if your router/AP is of good quality, and your wireless environment is relatively clean... but nothing will compare to the consistency and speed of wired. I've done both and am currently wireless due to where I'm living not having the wiring for it. I miss wired. Just make sure you have a decent quality switch on the backend, too (that supports IGMP snooping).

I did not hop on their newest iteration, the Era line. In fact, I picked up some more Sonos One's before they went completely out of stock due to being discontinued. The Five is considered still better than the Era 300 (for the most part).

Last edited by nerdogray; 09-08-2024 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 3
David701672.00
      09-08-2024, 01:15 PM   #6
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i 2022

For a whole house solution that is integrated and wireless, I don't think you can go wrong with Sonos.

I don't own any, but have a Play 5 1st gen disassembled on my workbench right now for a replacement of a faulty resistor in the amp section. The construction is impressive.

I have too much other equipment (systems) in various spaces throughout the house to make Sonos a good option for me.
      09-08-2024, 04:22 PM   #7
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Garage List
I wanted a wireless solution so I can vouch for Sonos as well.

I have eight play3's, playbar, sub and an amp so i can use my turntable.

Are they the best speakers you can buy, no, they're a long way from it but they are wireless and do a pretty good job.
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2024, 07:38 PM   #8
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

We have a bunch of Sonos but all the S1 version (not compatible with the newer app and the old app is not compatible with the newer speakers). I’m too cheap to replace them all (2-1, 2-3, 3-5, sub, soundbar) so I’m frozen (not going to run two setups through two different apps). Every now and then some of the older ones come up for sale on FB marketplace so I might snag them that way.

Other than that issue, very happy with the sound and performance. So much easier than wiring speakers (they do have to have a power connection, just not a speaker wire)
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2024, 07:45 PM   #9
oneofew
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
All depends on how picky your ears are! These are about 1/3 of my speaker stash.
Attachment 3547206

Were you a JBL dealer in the past, or JBL shareholder?
Appreciate 3
      09-08-2024, 08:21 PM   #10
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post

Are they the best speakers you can buy, no, they're a long way from it but they are wireless and do a pretty good job.
This is a very similar setup to what I’m looking at. Cerwin Vega 15’s are just not in the cards for this house Im afraid.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
HFW0036043.50
      09-09-2024, 05:26 AM   #11
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
We have a bunch of Sonos but all the S1 version (not compatible with the newer app and the old app is not compatible with the newer speakers). I’m too cheap to replace them all (2-1, 2-3, 3-5, sub, soundbar) so I’m frozen (not going to run two setups through two different apps). Every now and then some of the older ones come up for sale on FB marketplace so I might snag them that way.

Other than that issue, very happy with the sound and performance. So much easier than wiring speakers (they do have to have a power connection, just not a speaker wire)
I'll add to this comment. I have the first gen play 1 and they aren't supported as well as the newer models. I've bought most of my 8 speakers on FB Marketplace for about $100 each which might be a good way for you to test the waters to see if you like them. Overall a good product. Decent sound for the money and you can set up different zones to play different music in different areas of the house. You can also set up the speakers in stereo using two speakers in a zone.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3751.00
      09-09-2024, 10:39 AM   #12
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofew View Post

Were you a JBL dealer in the past, or JBL shareholder?
No, but my Dad bought his first JBL mono speaker (15-inch 2-way 030) back around 1957 and I still have it today. You could say I've grown up with them over the past 65+ years. I just like 2-channel stereo. Not into surround, or wireless, or even subwoofers.

Today these are the speakers in my main system:
Name:  JBL 4345.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  87.7 KB
Appreciate 4
ekaz80.50
oneofew56.00
      09-09-2024, 11:01 AM   #13
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I remember going through an audio phase when younger, and I'd always see these full-age ads for the Infinity RS-1. Anyone ever see and actually hear one of those? Were they as good as the ads made them seem?

https://audio-database.com/INFINITY/...andardi-e.html
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2024, 01:09 PM   #14
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post

Did you buy the Sonos brand stands or are there knockoffs that do the same level
standing?

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 03:03 PM   #15
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Did you buy the Sonos brand stands or are there knockoffs that do the same level
standing?
I just got the knock offs from eBay mate, perfect.
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2024, 11:28 AM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
No, but my Dad bought his first JBL mono speaker (15-inch 2-way 030) back around 1957 and I still have it today. You could say I've grown up with them over the past 65+ years. I just like 2-channel stereo. Not into surround, or wireless, or even subwoofers.

Attachment 3548040
I'm of the same mindset with preferring two channel/stereo. While multichannel/high res can be good, I find the way the audio is mixed down and presented to be very artificial. There are some good studios out there that use the extra channels to create more space and air to enhance the overall musical presentation. But there are those that just use the extra channels to push the multichannel gimmick. The extra channels are supposed to be subtle and enhancing. Shouldn't be mixed down where you're constantly aware of those channels being present.

With that said, I listen to stereo (2 channel) only recordings via an audio processing algorithm called Trifield. Trifield goes about taking a two channel source to anchor the center image of the music presentation. It utilizes all 5 channels in a base multichannel system with the predominant sounds coming from the front speakers (L, R, center). The center channel has the majority of the audio output with the rears as fill in for ambience.

In my two channel only system, I still use Trifield as it expands out the soundstage over just listening to straight stereo.

The unfortunate part of Trifield is it seems Meridian Audio is the only manufacturer where you can get this processing.

With subwoofers, I used to have the same opinion as you until I got a proper subwoofer and spent the time to properly integrate it into my system. Now I will never have an audio system without a proper sub. The benefits are numerous with a properly integrated sub. One more headroom with musical peaks; especially at higher volumes. Less distortion both from the mid bass on up and also on down. Subs are purposely designed to handle low frequency reproduction. With proper bass reproduction, you have to move volumes of air. Few "full range" speakers have woofers that can move that kind of air without distortion or extension down below 30 Hz. Subs can also be placed in spots in the room where bass reproduction is best where it wouldn't be ideal for other parts of the frequency range....not to mention the spot may not be ideal for proper soundstaging relative to your listening position. Adding a powered subwoofer will also provide biamping benefits without the complexity to do actual biamping.

My two channel system has a single 12" Velodyne HGS12II with a SMS-1 EQ. My multichannel system has two Velodyne subs: an HGS15II and a DD18. 15" and 18" drivers respectively. The HGS15II has an SMS-1 EQ and the DD18 has the same EQ but built in. I have the system set up where the HGS15 handles frequency reproduction from 40 to 80 Hz and the DD18 handles from 40 on down. The results have been amazing where I've received positive feedback from those that have heard the system. I've also done in room acoustical treatments which is an area that many people overlook.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 11:58 AM   #17
oneofew
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 3548040
Pretty much I'm from the same school of thought, 2 cnl first, although surround , wireless have their uses.
Looks like they're in excellent shape, did you have to rebuild Xovers and refoam the drivers?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 12:12 PM   #18
oneofew
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
I remember going through an audio phase when younger, and I'd always see these full-age ads for the Infinity RS-1. Anyone ever see and actually hear one of those? Were they as good as the ads made them seem?

https://audio-database.com/INFINITY/...andardi-e.html
I was a teanager when these came out, they were way out of my budget back then, and nowadays they fetch way more than they are really worth due to their vintage. I personally didn't have the opportunity to audition them when new and I have my doubts a 40yr old speaker can still perform as good as new after 40 years.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1431.50
      09-11-2024, 10:48 AM   #19
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofew View Post
Pretty much I'm from the same school of thought, 2 cnl first, although surround , wireless have their uses.
Looks like they're in excellent shape, did you have to rebuild Xovers and refoam the drivers?
As JBL only made 200 pair of the 4345, these are "clones" with cabinets made by the US cabinet maker for Kenrick sound in Japan. Populated with refurbished JBL drivers and custom-built charge-coupled crossovers which avoid the bi-amp switch which was problematic in the originals. I have replaced the surrounds on the 10-inch mid-bass drivers and the foam inside the compression drivers. The 18-inch woofers are the same as the originals and were also used in the first Imax systems, where usually 20 of them were deployed.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 07:54 AM   #20
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: SUV

For those of you with sonos how do they still connect? I have 8 speakers and only 3 work. When the app updates it randomly chooses to have issues updating some speakers and slowly they stopped working. I can't even use the app anymore cause it wants to update a speaker but always fails. I think it's forced obsolescence so you have to buy newer ones. I just use spotify to force the few connected speakers to play.

I've even reset them to factory settings which used to work. I eventually gave up and will never buy another sonos product ever again. Their customer service is horrid and has provided no help. They have bluetooth and wifi yet you can only use them with their app, which is horrible.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 08:53 AM   #21
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
For those of you with sonos how do they still connect? I have 8 speakers and only 3 work. When the app updates it randomly chooses to have issues updating some speakers and slowly they stopped working. I can't even use the app anymore cause it wants to update a speaker but always fails. I think it's forced obsolescence so you have to buy newer ones. I just use spotify to force the few connected speakers to play.

I've even reset them to factory settings which used to work. I eventually gave up and will never buy another sonos product ever again. Their customer service is horrid and has provided no help. They have bluetooth and wifi yet you can only use them with their app, which is horrible.
I’ve had mine for as long as 13 years and have moved them from room-to-room and 4 house moves in that time. I’ve never had a problem reconnecting them, and they don’t “drop off” once connected. My only complaint is that the old ones, which I own, are not compatible with the new ones because the new speaker app (S2) is not backward compatible. So I can’t buy new ones without running two apps, which is too confusing for some in my house (and, frankly, rightly so).
Appreciate 0