BMW M5 Forum

07-21-2024, 06:57 PM   #375
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Thought Max had matured more than today, he was back to driving out of control again and is extremely lucky to have finished 5th and not a DNF. I think he’s going to be fairly embarrassed about things he said today after he gets some proper rest. He threw everyone under the bus today and complaining about drivers doing what he does regularly (moving under braking/forcing people off track) was pretty rich.
Yep, he was getting heated for sure! I have to be honest though, Max reminds me of the "old school" drivers. I like his color commentary in the car and while I agree he shouldn't throw his team under the bus, it does make for some very entertaining moments. He also has to be really frustrated with having Perez as a teammate. The guy is basically worthless, is never there to help him, and Max must feel like it's him against the world right now. If RB doesn't win the Constructor's this year, there is nobody to blame but Perez.

Max is a hothead for sure, but that's part of the mentality I think which has made him the best for some time now.
Appreciate 7
      07-21-2024, 07:02 PM   #376
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 6MT M2, 22 PFinder, 24 Truk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Bad call from McLaren. I understand the scenario/situation but when you can potentially be contention for a drivers championship and with VER leading, you have to take the points. You can always get a win later on but you can't get back points you give up. As a constructors, McLaren gained max points - NOR missed out on crucial points in trying to catch up to VER. PIA is shown that he has the potential to be a Grand Prix winner and his time will come - don't think it should have been "given" to him today.
The bad call IMO was pitting Lando first. HAM was never a threat to them. Then when Lando runs down Oscar in the last stint they can comfortably ask him to move aside for Lando.
Appreciate 3
3798j12665.50
      07-21-2024, 07:06 PM   #377
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Yep, he was getting heated for sure! I have to be honest though, Max reminds me of the "old school" drivers. I like his color commentary in the car and while I agree he shouldn't throw his team under the bus, it does make for some very entertaining moments. He also has to be really frustrated with having Perez as a teammate. The guy is basically worthless, is never there to help him, and Max must feel like it's him against the world right now. If RB doesn't win the Constructor's this year, there is nobody to blame but Perez.

Max is a hothead for sure, but that's part of the mentality I think which has made him the best for some time now.
Definitely agreed, it’s entertaining as hell for us, just commenting from a more practical side. I was legit surprised how bad Max lost it today, but we all have bad days at work. I have no doubt he’ll return to form at Spa and probably wins there.

I disagree with Perez, I think he legit likes that he has a crappy teammate and loves being the clear number one/getting all the attention like an only child. He’s not much of a team player as we’ve seen and does it his own way 99% of the time anyway. I think a competitive teammate would just cause drama and a lot more outbursts like we saw today. Which, again would be entertaining as hell for us so I’m all for it!

I wish I could post memes, I saw one of Zak giving the McLaren employee of the year award to Perez.
Appreciate 2
NickyC18944.50
a5m791.50
      07-21-2024, 07:08 PM   #378
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

I remember in 2021 merc and Red Bull were ruthless with points. Inverting bottas, coming in for fastest lap points on the final lap.

Then here is McLaren with their strategy failures gaslighting the drivers to do the right thing.
Appreciate 3
minn1914512.50
a5m791.50
      07-21-2024, 07:14 PM   #379
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
The bad call IMO was pitting Lando first. HAM was never a threat to them. Then when Lando runs down Oscar in the last stint they can comfortably ask him to move aside for Lando.
Yes. The issue with McLaren is the continued lack and poor communication between the pit crew/wall and their drivers. Before they even brought in Lando for the undercut, it should've been established that the undercut was being used to cover any potential threat from HAM and the position would be swapped should there be no threat. We've seen these decisions made with Mercedes, Red Bull and even Ferrari with no blow back because the strategy discussed and made before the action.

From the team's perspective, it was a justified call but not the right one. McLaren has to see the bigger picture and that is drivers championship after claiming max team points.
Appreciate 3
minn1914512.50
      07-21-2024, 07:20 PM   #380
CMW33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Just like you ; I'm happy for Oscar . He really deserved the victory
Today Oscar was the best driver in the best car of the grid ...

Well , actually that's old news about the RB20 . Since the beginning of this season , the RB20 setup is a mess...
The car is built too stiff , it can't run over the curbs and it can't turn ..
Just see Checo's mess to keep his RB20 on track . I'm pretty sure , Checo will crash again with this car (!)

The main reason is the RB20 front suspension and the setup issues from race 1 in this season .
At this moment they can't change it too much , because the car would be complete out of balance ...
As you could see today , the RB20 upgrades didn't fixed the issues..And that's bad news !
More here in my post => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=329
The part I can't figure out: the RB20 can show tons of single-lap and race pace, like Max's last stint at Silverstone, or the fact Max was what, .04 off of pole yesterday, or his last stint in Hungary. Does it only work on low fuel? Fun problem if you're an engineer, I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 07:28 PM   #381
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes. The issue with McLaren is the continued lack and poor communication between the pit crew/wall and their drivers. Before they even brought in Lando for the undercut, it should've been established that the undercut was being used to cover any potential threat from HAM and the position would be swapped should there be no threat. We've seen these decisions made with Mercedes, Red Bull and even Ferrari with no blow back because the strategy discussed and made before the action.

From the team's perspective, it was a justified call but not the right one. McLaren has to see the bigger picture and that is drivers championship after claiming max team points.
I wonder what they would’ve decided had Max DNF’d.
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2024, 08:04 PM   #382
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMW33 View Post
The part I can't figure out: the RB20 can show tons of single-lap and race pace, like Max's last stint at Silverstone, or the fact Max was what, .04 off of pole yesterday, or his last stint in Hungary. Does it only work on low fuel? Fun problem if you're an engineer, I suppose.
when you follow cars, what happens is the front tires degrade a lot due to the turbulent air. regardless of what the FIA says.

when you drive cat and mouse to try to pass, the tires degrade even more.

when you drive aggressively in a big attempt to pass and fail, the tires degrade even more

everything adds up.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 08:08 PM   #383
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

1 , it's not a justified call, Hamilton was miles behind, it's not like the Merc were fast, they were not!

2 , they should pit Oscar and then Lando, as they normally would, because, 1 , they have plenty of time to cover Hamilton

3, after the pit stop, they can then tell Lando you have until lap 50 to establish the order, for example, and Lando had more pace in the 3rd stint looking back, he has a few laps to fight the lead and then he would have probably passed Oscar. if you want to win the WDC you should be faster than your team mate, and it looked like he was

but in doing what they did they screwed McLaren, they screwed Lando, and the screwed Oscar

they still have a losing team's mentality at the moment, giving away driver points
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 08:09 PM   #384
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
I remember in 2021 merc and Red Bull were ruthless with points. Inverting bottas, coming in for fastest lap points on the final lap.

Then here is McLaren with their strategy failures gaslighting the drivers to do the right thing.
they are using Ferrari strategy guide book
Appreciate 3
      07-21-2024, 09:34 PM   #385
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
1 , it's not a justified call, Hamilton was miles behind, it's not like the Merc were fast, they were not!

2 , they should pit Oscar and then Lando, as they normally would, because, 1 , they have plenty of time to cover Hamilton

3, after the pit stop, they can then tell Lando you have until lap 50 to establish the order, for example, and Lando had more pace in the 3rd stint looking back, he has a few laps to fight the lead and then he would have probably passed Oscar. if you want to win the WDC you should be faster than your team mate, and it looked like he was

but in doing what they did they screwed McLaren, they screwed Lando, and the screwed Oscar

they still have a losing team's mentality at the moment, giving away driver points
That is the justification. The team knew they messed this up by pitting Lando first resulting in giving team orders for Lando to let Oscar through. Wrong decision but the team decision was justified.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 09:56 PM   #386
Marcoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Great race. But I lost my bets. I really thought Verstappen had matured to chase wins with class. Oh the irony of complaining about the race direction’s decisions. What a short memory. And his immaturity put Hamilton on the podium. Another lost bet.

Sad deal for Piastri. He definitely has the goods. But a weird way to win. In hindsight, Norris should’ve swapped positions ASAP, and beat Piastri on track. The WDC is still Versfappen’s to lose. I hope for McLaren it isn’t by less than 7 points.

The formula is finally getting cracked. Next year should be fun.
Appreciate 4
minn1914512.50
MontyB11589.50
Terry989603.50
      07-21-2024, 10:18 PM   #387
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMW33 View Post
No, it's because RB in silverstone had the tire offset and hards deg less than the softs that the front were running.

RB20 is the second fastest car on the grid, Mclaren is clear of them now.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 10:19 PM   #388
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
Great race. But I lost my bets. I really thought Verstappen had matured to chase wins with class. Oh the irony of complaining about the race direction’s decisions. What a short memory. And his immaturity put Hamilton on the podium. Another lost bet.

Sad deal for Piastri. He definitely has the goods. But a weird way to win. In hindsight, Norris should’ve swapped positions ASAP, and beat Piastri on track. The WDC is still Versfappen’s to lose. I hope for McLaren it isn’t by less than 7 points.

The formula is finally getting cracked. Next year should be fun.

I think whatever RBR has developed for 2025 is scrapped now.

Spa should be a good race think, I'm still not convinced Max will win there with how dominant Mclaren has been.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 10:44 PM   #389
Davil
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 Vantage, 18 Vantage, 00 WRX

Garage List
What a tremendously entertaining race. I just knew Oscar would take the lead straight away and Max would do something crazy.

The McLaren radio silence from each driver that just kept building.

Max having temper tantrums I haven’t seen since my kids were 2.

Lewis defending like a champion.

So much drama and entertainment.

Also. I just love Nico. He has no filter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      07-21-2024, 10:47 PM   #390
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
What a tremendously entertaining race. I just knew Oscar would take the lead straight away and Max would do something crazy.

The McLaren radio silence from each driver that just kept building.

Max having temper tantrums I haven’t seen since my kids were 2.

Lewis defending like a champion.

So much drama and entertainment.

Also. I just love Nico. He has no filter.
Hah, I've always liked Nico. Though, I'll forever be a bit upset he retired so early leaving us those boring years of Ham/Bottas. If Nico had stayed, I bet those boring years would have been much more interesting in regard to the Championship.
Appreciate 4
Davil6816.00
minn1914512.50
      07-21-2024, 11:17 PM   #391
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sad deal for Piastri. He definitely has the goods. But a weird way to win. In hindsight, Norris should’ve swapped positions ASAP, and beat Piastri on track.
No in hindsight Norris should have said "i'm faster than Oscar, I would have overtaken him anyway" and stuck with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 11:23 PM   #392
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That is the justification. ... Wrong decision but the team decision was justified.
You actually think they thought Hamilton 10s behind was a threat? oh dear if that's true then McLaren has a real loser mentality! Incredible. I wonder if they are run by clowns too, but papaya colored ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 11:50 PM   #393
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You actually think they thought Hamilton 10s behind was a threat? oh dear if that's true then McLaren has a real loser mentality! Incredible. I wonder if they are run by clowns too, but papaya colored ones.
Whether HAM was a threat or not is irrelavant. The team call to swap drivers was justified because to McLaren, they know they messed up bringing in Lando first when it should’ve been the lead car. That’s the justification - has nothing to do with anything or anyone else. We already know there was no real undercut threat from anyone - McLaren simply had the best car all weekend but they were just saving face from their own blunder.
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2024, 12:09 AM   #394
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The team call to swap drivers was justified because to McLaren, they know they messed up bringing in Lando first when it should’ve been the lead car. .
are you saying they forgot Oscar was in the lead car or they forgot to pit the lead car? and how can either be a justification? there is no justification.

either one of 2 things happened

1. they really thought they were racing Hamilton - clowns

2. they tried to engineer Lando to win the race but changed their minds - clowns

they should just do the right thing, bring Oscar in, then bring Lando in, let them race a bit OR, engineer a Lando win and stick with it.
Appreciate 2
minn1914512.50
      07-22-2024, 01:21 AM   #395
Marcoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Quote:
No in hindsight Norris should have said "i'm faster than Oscar, I would have overtaken him anyway" and stuck with it.
It would’ve caused him irreparable damage. Norris doesn’t come across as an ar$e. He should’ve let Piastri pass within 1-2 laps of changing tyres, and retake the lead on track 2-3 laps later. But it’s hard to strategise from the cockpit.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2024, 01:40 AM   #396
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It would’ve caused him irreparable damage. Norris doesn’t come across as an ar$e. He should’ve let Piastri pass within 1-2 laps of changing tyres, and retake the lead on track 2-3 laps later. But it’s hard to strategise from the cockpit.
agree with everything. Max Lewis and Seb would have no hesitation doing that though.

the entire McLaren look like a team with no direction or leader from principal to driver. and definitely they need to hire a strategist.
Appreciate 1