BMW M5 Forum

07-19-2024, 09:26 AM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
She was either texting or picking up something from the floor or something. The car was headed right at me and I could see that the entire time she wasn't looking the the road. That's the entire reason why accident happened. She wad basically driving diagonally on the parking lot

Ps. Police responded, they just didn't want to file report and left
This is similar to what I went through personally. I was driving my car to the dealership to ironically get service work done on it. I was approaching a light that was red. It turned green before I got to the intersection. From the opposite direction, the car at the stop light started moving. Next thing that happened, the car crossed passed the intersection and drifted over the double yellow into my lane/direction of travel. I was thinking surely this idiot is going to realize that they're no longer in their lane. Nope. I laid on the horn and tried to swerve to the right. I couldn't move too far as there was a big snow bank covering up part of the right side of the road.

Just before the bang, she was so close I could see this idiot with her stupid beak buried into her cell phone totally oblivious to what was going. We were that close. Just before our cars collided at about 30MPH (at least that was my speed....hers was close) she looked up and tried to swerve away. Hit me head on to the left side of my car. The impact launched her front bumper cover up in the air and down the road about 20 to 30 feet. She crunched the front end of my car bad enough where I had to crawl out the passenger side to get out of the car. I was so pissed I stayed away from the idiot as I would have throttled her with my hands.

Cops responded. She admitted to being on her cell phone and that she couldn't see clearly out of her windshield. Cop was just as pissed as I was and cited her with two moving violations. Cop was nice enough to drive me back home. Was the first time sitting in the back of a cruiser. LOL. Good thing is it wasn't due to being under arrest.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2024, 03:21 PM   #24
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Cops here are POS. My dad had dementia, no insurance, and no license, and was very old and bad driver.....dangerously bad. Many many accidents.
He was driving around town and I was worried for his and other people's safety. I called the police and told them the story. You will never believe what they said.....Wait till he kills someone, then we will get involved.
This all ended with him running over a pedestrian, I think with only minor injuries. He was taken to court but due to age and no insurance there was nothing the injured person could do
Sounds like his fily.or caretakers should have not allowed access to a vehicle to him. Doesn't seem like that's the cops issue, it's y'all's. It's like not securing a firearm around children. It is not the cops fault that they didn't come arrest your child for wanting to play with daddy's gun, it's your fault for not securing it.

Y'all are lucky they didn't go after y'all and whoever was his caretaker for negligence in allowing access to the vehicle at all.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18661.00
      07-20-2024, 04:27 PM   #25
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Sounds like his fily.or caretakers should have not allowed access to a vehicle to him. Doesn't seem like that's the cops issue, it's y'all's. It's like not securing a firearm around children. It is not the cops fault that they didn't come arrest your child for wanting to play with daddy's gun, it's your fault for not securing it.

Y'all are lucky they didn't go after y'all and whoever was his caretaker for negligence in allowing access to the vehicle at all.
There was no caretaker and he had car and keys that belonged to him.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2024, 07:38 PM   #26
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There was no caretaker and he had car and keys that belonged to him.
Yeah... That's 100% on your guys if you let a guy with dementia and a complete Inability to drove keep the keys to his car and allow him access.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18661.00
      07-21-2024, 07:23 AM   #27
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Yup. Was going to say the same. We let our mother go just a bit too long. She was safe at driving, but it was she got lost in her home town of 70 some years. Walked up to a stranger's house miles away and asked them to get her home.

Thank God for good people. She didn't drive a day after that.
I think there are 2 issues at play here - at the core, it's the whole freedom of transport blah blah.

1) The testing once you are over 65 should be stricter than it is to keep your license and should be updated annually.

2) Our laws are not preventative but rather reactive... meaning until someone hurts someone else, no one really cares... if you watch how lawyers work... this kind of doubles up that point.

There is a certain age where people really shouldnt drive but we don't have the public transport at play to make that happen... then the whole freedom BS comes in blah blah... until someone gets hurt that is.
      07-21-2024, 09:31 AM   #28
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
LOL, annual? Nah. I'm a few short years away from 65, most of my circle is the same age or older, so I know a lot of people driving well past 65 who don't need an annual driving test.
That's not how it works.

That's like me saying, I'm a great pilot, I don't need an annual check. It's not to catch the people that don't need it, it's to catch the people that do, for the safety of all of us.
      07-21-2024, 09:54 AM   #29
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
That's not how it works.

That's like me saying, I'm a great pilot, I don't need an annual check. It's not to catch the people that don't need it, it's to catch the people that do, for the safety of all of us.
absolutely... this is a universal check... everyone is different and thats why the rule applies to everyone
      07-21-2024, 10:48 AM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
That's not how it works.

I think your choice of using pilots as a comparative is inaccurate. But, then if so, we should check everyone to rule out all elements of failure and ensure levels of driving competency to be at aviation levels of safety. 16 - 30 for inexperience; 30 - 60 for work stress related inattentiveness, 60 - 70 for health, 70 - 85 for brain health.

Being near 65, I can say that the mid-60's age is still a lower risk. Obviously individual cases are individual cases. The insurance industry indicates drivers ages 16 - 24 are higher risk than drivers 65 - 70. So, we should have biannual competency tests for drivers 16 - 30.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-05-2024 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 10:50 AM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
absolutely... this is a universal check... everyone is different and thats why the rule applies to everyone
See post above ^
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 10:54 AM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Here's a better idea. Let's just have car manufacturers report telemetry data to Big Data collection houses who can then report on individuals to their insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 11:17 AM   #33
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think your choice of using pilots as a comparative is in accurate. But, then if so, we should check everyone to rule out all elements of failure and ensure levels of driving competency to be at aviation levels of safety. 16 - 30 for inexperience; 30 - 60 for work stress related inantenntiveness, 60 - 70 for health, 70 - 85 for brain health.

Being near 65, I can say that the mid-60's age is still a lower risk. Obviously individual cases are individual cases. The insurance industry indicates drivers ages 16 - 24 are higher risk than drivers 65 - 70. So, we should have biannual compentcy tests for drivers 16 - 30.
I think you may be talking past me for some reason... this is a discussion based on cognitive decline and reaction times... those rarely take place before a certain age is met. If you are referring to general re testing to make sure everyone continues to know and follow the rules every 5 years, I am 100% ok with that but that is a different discussion than this is...one that i think that could be handled by making a drivers license harder to get in general and I think you are triggered by this discussion given your age (no offense at all meant by this).

This is the exact same reason why SS at this point is doomed and we have politicians that are way over age... i have a guy that lives a few streets down from me and consistently moans he cant get his lawn mowed and always says something about his age and poor health and how he will soon no longer be alive... i've seen this guy walk ourside and he can barely move... yet low and behold he drives a large suv everywhere...
      07-21-2024, 11:34 AM   #34
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah... That's 100% on your guys if you let a guy with dementia and a complete Inability to drove keep the keys to his car and allow him access.
You probably don't know what dementia is. He worked, had a car, and was living by himself and taking care of himself
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 01:02 PM   #35
cbpip
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4C 3.0si 3 pedal

Garage List
2007 BMW E86C  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 03:42 PM   #36
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

That's $10k in repairs just FYI (as on the pictures)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2024, 07:28 AM   #37
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You probably don't know what dementia is. He worked, had a car, and was living by himself and taking care of himself
In fact I do. But if you know he has dementia, you know he doesn't have a license, and you know he can't drive, you being the family have a responsibility to secure this sort of stuff.

My mother in law has dementia. She's not to that point yet, but getting there rapidly. We are within a few years of having to take her keys and tell her she lost them.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2024, 10:00 AM   #38
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
In fact I do. But if you know he has dementia, you know he doesn't have a license, and you know he can't drive, you being the family have a responsibility to secure this sort of stuff.

My mother in law has dementia. She's not to that point yet, but getting there rapidly. We are within a few years of having to take her keys and tell her she lost them.
If I would have told him he lost keys, he would make new keys next day and never speak to me again if I didn't help him to do that
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2024, 06:56 AM   #39
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
That has been my experience.
That is why you always request a police report even if it's a parking lot issue. The police may turn you down but at least you tried. The insurance companies will generally do arbitration to decide the percentage of fault. If you don't like the results, there is always small claims court. Good luck.
A police report may not always work.

My 2 month old 2020 Challenger was parked in my assigned car port space. Driver who parked in the adjacent space pulled out and cut his turn too short and caught the front corner of my car.

(Pic supplied.)

I didn't know this until an officer knocked on my door and informed me my car had been hit.

Long story short the officer made it difficult for me to collect any info about the other driver. Futhermore the office said he was going to write up the accident as a no fault property damage event.

I didn't know what to say. But I believed I had enough info to file a claim against the other driver's insurance.

Believe it or not the driver hit my still parked -- it was undrivable after the impact and I didn't have any place to move it to -- the 2nd night.

I heard a commotion and walked out side to see the other driver's vehicle had snagged my car to the point he had to call a wrecker to pull his car free.

I called the police. The officer that showed up -- fortunately not the same officer that worked the 1st incident -- wrote up the accident report like it should have been written up by the 1st officer.

I got the 2nd report in a few days. It took weeks before the 1st report, such as it was, was available.

Don't know what was going on with that first officer but fortunately his goofy accident report didn't play a role in my getting the other driver's insurance to pay for the car's repairs and pay me a diminished value claim.

Before this event I never would have thought it a good thing for my car to be hit *twice* to help facilitate an insurance claim against the at fault driver's insurance.

My SOP is to in the event of an accident to first ensure there are no injuries then take pics of the vehicle positions, license plate of the vehicle(s) involved. And get pics of the driver. I *never* publish these pics but I keep them in my "accident" file.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Llarry20247.00
      07-27-2024, 09:10 PM   #40
Grease23
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

These days you can get a quite decent dashcam that fits on the front of the mirror for $100. Since I hate being lied to by other drivers, I've put them in our 3 vehicles. The hard-wired rear camera looked like a big PITA to wire up, so I'm going with just the front, which should be enough in nearly all situations.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 07:39 PM   #41
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp

What is the rationale for the police not to file police reports if an accident is on private property? If someone is injured, they would I assume?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2024, 06:49 AM   #42
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

My other recent accident was me driving 50-60 mph at speed limit or a little above, a guy went wrong way on this freeway and I did my best to avoid hitting him. I struck a high curb with all 4 wheels and the car became disabled (I didn't know what kind of damage it had at the time). The guy who went the wrong way stopped and acknowledged his fault, the police arrived too. I think they gave him a warning and he left home, I was stuck in the middle of the freeway and cops told me it's a 1 car accident, the other driver wasn't involved so there is no need to exchange insurance information either.

Thankfully the car was Porsche Cayenne. No suspension damage, no wheel damage, and only 1 blown tire that was replaced under warranty. I only had to pay for alignment. At the time of accident I thought the car is fcked

Me hitting that curb saved his life......but he didn't give a sht about it nor did the police or insurance. I obviously didn't file this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2024, 10:09 PM   #43
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

This is why all my cars have dash cams.

And if you're going to take pictures, don't just stop at taking pics of the license plate. Take pics of the VIN also.
Appreciate 2
Gemini562161.00
chowser512094.00
      08-18-2024, 02:14 PM   #44
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
This is why all my cars have dash cams.

And if you're going to take pictures, don't just stop at taking pics of the license plate. Take pics of the VIN also.
Don't just stop there, take a pic or video of the driver and passengers as well.

Yep DASH CAM!, they're not expensive and I have one for the front and one for the back.

Kid got her license and first thing I did was install dash cams. Three weeks into driving her new car, someone turned left in front of her. Lied to police but I showed up and downloaded the video for them to show the other car turned in front of her.

A lot of PDs won't do private property crashes for some reason unless there is injury. Every PD is different. I think we're only of the few PDs in my area that will come out and do a private property crash report. We're also the only one left that will come out and unlock your car if you lock your keys in it.
Appreciate 0