BMW M5 Forum

08-24-2024, 07:34 AM   #23
75LeSabre09135iRagtopsMcK
Registered
Rep
Drives: Buick Lesabre, BMW 135i,

Guinea Hens. Dogs. Old Farm House in the Country. Can't cut power to the birds, can't harm one without the rest putting up the alarm. Guinea Hens are loud and will alert to anything they aren't used to, anything unusual will set them off, or just taking out the trash. . . . Gravel driveway. The birds will hear anyone coming, the bird set off the dogs. . . It is not elegant or sophisticated, but it is organic and provides plenty of time for whoever to get to the gun safe. Someone is always home, that is how farms are.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3755.50
      08-24-2024, 07:53 AM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenture View Post
No doubt! But, as a free feature added to my other existing cameras, it sounds fun to test out.

If you have serious security concerns, that is a whole other ball game. I don't. My cameras are for avoiding solicitors by not being seen! lol
LOL. I do the same thing when I hear the doorbell. I fire up the video for the front door cam to see who it is.
Appreciate 1
DrVenture886.00
      08-24-2024, 07:58 AM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Our cameras allow us (via the app) to set up detection zones and sensitivities for vehicles, people and animals. That really helps prevent the wildlife alerts.

They do “cycle” the SD card memory (we put in the largest capacity they support); we seem to have about a month’s worth of storage given the number of recording triggers - if we lived on a busy street with people in range walking along the sidewalk, it might only be a few days - but we don’t need any more than that.

Our cameras also each have a solar panel to keep them charged (and come with a battery for night/cloudy). We’ve never had one go dark. All we have to keep alive in the house is the router to view the camera images, but even if we have a power outage the cameras are still able to fully function and record to the SD cards.
Yep. Forgot the ability to set up detection zones. But with human recognition, it helps in the possible situations where it's not easy to set up detection zones without missing any possible coverage.

Forgot to mention, I have my NVR set to record over the oldest video when there is no space left on the hard drive. I have a 4TB Western Digital (I think) Purple hard drive in the NVR since new. For the 5 cameras I have in the system at 3MP, it's able to have about a 3 to 4 month archive depending on how many trigger events occur for recording.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3755.50
M_Six18562.00
      08-24-2024, 08:29 AM   #26
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

There are some cameras that will detect and track motion. That’s a pretty cool feature.

Mine do have two-way audio so I can hear/record what is going on, and yell at anyone who shouldn’t be on the property. They also turn on a light at night when there is motion (if I set that feature to operate)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 09:22 AM   #27
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

My Amcrest cams (and many others) allow you to create Tripwires. Virtual lines that trigger notifications when crossed. I have Tripwires along the entire front and sides of my yard. That way when I'm out in the yard doing yard work or whatever, I'm not getting pelted with notifications. I only get them when someone crosses the lines. I'll do the same when I finally get PoE cams covering the back yard. Here's a typical email notification I get. This is us coming home last night.

Name:  nvr-shot.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  262.3 KB

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 08-24-2024 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 2
2000cs3755.50
zx10guy5470.50
      08-24-2024, 09:44 AM   #28
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75LeSabre09135iRagtopsMcK View Post
Guinea Hens. Dogs. Old Farm House in the Country. Can't cut power to the birds, can't harm one without the rest putting up the alarm. Guinea Hens are loud and will alert to anything they aren't used to, anything unusual will set them off, or just taking out the trash. . . . Gravel driveway. The birds will hear anyone coming, the bird set off the dogs. . . It is not elegant or sophisticated, but it is organic and provides plenty of time for whoever to get to the gun safe. Someone is always home, that is how farms are.
Awesome! And made me laugh. I love the simplicity.
      08-24-2024, 09:46 AM   #29
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There are some cameras that will detect and track motion. That’s a pretty cool feature.

Mine do have two-way audio so I can hear/record what is going on, and yell at anyone who shouldn’t be on the property. They also turn on a light at night when there is motion (if I set that feature to operate)
I bet one could rig something that triggers barking, snarling dog sounds, for those of us without pets.
      08-24-2024, 10:21 AM   #30
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75LeSabre09135iRagtopsMcK View Post

The place where we plan to put the retirement Garage Mahal down at our SC tree farm is 75% surrounded by a natural moat system. If I excavate the last piece and fill it with piranhas, we would never need to worry about door-to-door salespeople ever again.....

(Sterile piranha of course, because we wouldn't want to introduce an invasive species to the lake.)
      08-24-2024, 12:23 PM   #31
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post

The place where we plan to put the retirement Garage Mahal down at our SC tree farm is 75% surrounded by a natural moat system. If I excavate the last piece and fill it with piranhas, we would never need to worry about door-to-door salespeople ever again.....

(Sterile piranha of course, because we wouldn't want to introduce an invasive species to the lake.)
I'd advise stout gloves and tiny little snippers.
      08-24-2024, 12:42 PM   #32
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I have blink and ring alarm at NC house. Mainly because it's fairly rural and I'm not wiring cameras so it's that or nothing. I also have a couple blink cameras in FL home but not ring.

They have worked out great for my use. I use blink mainly to monitor stuff when I'm not there. I know when people come on my driveway or when packages are delivered. I like blink because I can hide them in trees pointing to the house etc. Not the most secure and they definitely miss stuff, but good enough for me. Also on the grandfathered free plan.

The ring alarm is mainly for when we leave town. Only had it go off once and it was a false alarm. I think one of the motion sensors was kinda facing the window and the sun or something triggered it. It happened early while I was still sleeping so I didn't answer the call and they did call the cops and one of them showed up (saw it on ring). So I guess it technically works.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 01:39 PM   #33
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
I bet one could rig something that triggers barking, snarling dog sounds, for those of us without pets.
Rewatch Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2024, 01:42 PM   #34
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Rewatch Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Probably where I got the notion. It should be easy these days. My Ring/Alexa combo allows for all sorts of routines. The sound of a shotgun racking in a load is another possible option. That should get them moving down the road.
      08-24-2024, 05:13 PM   #35
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Probably where I got the notion. It should be easy these days. My Ring/Alexa combo allows for all sorts of routines. The sound of a shotgun racking in a load is another possible option. That should get them moving down the road.
https://youtube.com/shorts/vG3rI_pg-...LZ5obCrkLFXiEd
Appreciate 0