BMW M5 Forum

09-01-2024, 05:53 PM   #1
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 330i, '23 X1, '25 X3

I keep getting "digital key card active" message every single time I get into the car

I keep getting "digital key card active" message every single time I get into the car. This is even when I enter the X1 with the key fob. I made sure that the digital key physical card or my phone is nowhere near the car. The message just pop up on the screen as soon as the screen boots up.

After a couple of hours on the phone with a BMW Genius(not the local one), they basically said there was nothing could do. We tried deactivating/reactivating the digital key card and my phone. Nothing worked. They suggested that I take it to my BMW service center. However, the next available appointment is September 16, more than 3 weeks from now.

Can anyone help me figure out how to get rid of this message?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 05:04 PM   #2
Gat7
Rep
Drives: BMW x7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCover View Post
I keep getting "digital key card active" message every single time I get into the car. This is even when I enter the X1 with the key fob. I made sure that the digital key physical card or my phone is nowhere near the car. The message just pop up on the screen as soon as the screen boots up.

After a couple of hours on the phone with a BMW Genius(not the local one), they basically said there was nothing could do. We tried deactivating/reactivating the digital key card and my phone. Nothing worked. They suggested that I take it to my BMW service center. However, the next available appointment is September 16, more than 3 weeks from now.

Can anyone help me figure out how to get rid of this message?
I just picked up my new x7 and have been getting the same message. No idea why or how to fix it. Will let you know if I figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 06:03 PM   #3
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat7 View Post
I just picked up my new x7 and have been getting the same message. No idea why or how to fix it. Will let you know if I figure it out.
Thanks!

I ended up having the dealer check it out. They deleted the digital key(card and my phone)... then added it back. (which was what I did on my own) That annoying didn't show up for 2 days, but came back on the 3rd day. Still seeing it whenever I get into the car now. Guess I'll just have to ignore it for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 06:42 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

Seems like you guys are on the right track, but maybe have to go a step further? Try to deactivate the car and banish any traces of it. Maybe undo any phone pairing you have as well. Totally get rid of everything but the physical key (fob, that is). I know you said you did that but maybe try again on your own, slowly. The manual for the car should have the steps. Perhaps you missed something?

Also when you say the card / phone aren't near the car, you might be surprised how far they can reach. Are they not near the car meaning - inside the house, and the car is in the garage? Or they are inside the house, and the car is at work 10 miles away?

You might consider an idrive reinstall or something as well, probably the dealer would have to do that. Along those lines, is there (I don't know) some sort of master reset / reboot to idrive you can do yourself?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 08:11 PM   #5
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Or they are inside the house, and the car is at work 10 miles away?
that. I left my phone and the digital key card at home. Drove to work with just the key fob on my person. My office is about 8 miles away from my house.

The dealer did upgrade iDrive to the latest version(July 2024 version). I wonder if that may be the reason for this glitch. For now, I'm just going to ignore it. I'll bring it up with them when I go in for the oil change in October.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2024, 09:35 AM   #6
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

this morning, I went into the menu and deleted everything... then I let it do a full hard reset. turned off the car, locked it... came back an hour later. got inside and added the digital key card only. I left my key fob at home. Started the car with just the plastic key card. Drove to the office. Turned it off.

A few minutes ago, I used the key card to open the door and start the car. Oh, no, that message was back. Oh well, at least I gave it another try.

The tech at the BMW dealer did caution me against doing this too many times. I think he said that the physical key card can only be activated/deactivated a certain number of times. After that, I'll have to buy a replacement card from parts for about $40?
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2024, 02:05 PM   #7
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

update 9/14:

I don't know know what happened, but this issue resolved itself since yesterday. I'm no longer seeing that screen. Oh well, probably some kind of glitch?
Appreciate 1