BMW M5 Forum

08-29-2024, 12:42 PM   #1
pretendgarageguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Comp

How bad is this, and is there any hope for a DIY paint fix...

I've owned my car for all of about 72 hours. I have a really tight garage spot, and as I was *very slowly and gingerly* pulling out, I caught the lip of the door for second. This is the scrape that resulted. Clearly a scrape, rather broad, down to the metal. There's also a ridge, a couple millimeters thick, at the end of the scrape. Is there any way I can patch this myself? Or is this a $2k repair at the dealership?

I'm also about to go on a week-long trip - do I need to somehow tape this to protect the metal from moisture in case I can't address it prior to my return?

Details:
Car: 2022 X3 M comp
Paint: "Carbon Black metallic"
Damage:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 01:08 PM   #2
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Hopefully that little fender trim comes off and you can have it resprayed for a reasonable price. The match won't be perfect, but close enough (metallics are tricky). I wouldn't recommend DIY repaint unless you have the experience and skill - but had you, you'd likely not even be making this thread.
      08-29-2024, 01:47 PM   #3
pretendgarageguy
Registered
Rep

Yeah, it seems like this is the part: https://www.buybmwpartsdirect.com/oe...re-51778064819

However, it doesn't appear to come in Carbon Black Metallic, but rather just "primed". Does that mean I need to have this professionally painted?
Appreciate 1
TboneS541150.50
      08-29-2024, 02:53 PM   #4
Emily172013
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i BMW Z4 30i

I think you were lucky in that it only damaged the trim. Either you buy the part or have a good shop that your BMW uses order it and they will paint it and pop it on afterwards. Sure you could also have the trim removed, use you car in the meantime, and then pick it up when repainted. A good shop will match it perfectly.
Don't you hate when s--- like this happens? always seems to be when the car is new.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2024, 03:09 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

Agreed with asking a shop. I'd probably find a local auto body shop, or 2, with good reputations. Perhaps the dealer as well. Between them all I think you'll end up with buying a new part, spraying it, and then replacing the current one. $254 isn't free for the new one but it'll save the work sanding and filling the current one and might end up the same price in the end anyhow.

If you're at all handy it's probably a DIY-able thing to replace this piece. Looks like it's just the plastic re-useable rivets but I might buy a few extra just in case a few get bent up in the removal process.

There's a decent chance BMW made this part easy to replace on purpose.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 03:37 PM   #6
pretendgarageguy
Registered
Rep

Thank you all! I'll get an estimate from a body shop and suggest buying the part.
Appreciate 0