BMW M5 Forum

09-09-2024, 06:46 AM   #1
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Traveling From Rome to Zermatt

Hi all,

My first Europe trip is coming up and I have some concerns regarding long distance train travels. I'm trying to travel from Rome to Zermatt in one day, I was looking at the routes and I'm concerning about the transfer time between trains. Some of the layover time is as short as 8 minutes and 13 minutes, do I have enough time to transfer? Are these trains in the same station? Is it easy to go from one train to another? If I miss my train is it easy to catch the next one to the same destination? I'm trying to see if I need 2 days to go from Rome to Zermatt, don't might spend a day traveling, but I don't want to stuck somewhere not planned for. Thanks!
Attached Images

09-09-2024, 07:53 AM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Garage List
I’ve traveled extensively through Europe using trains and it is a great way to travel.

It’s only an 8 hour trip from Rome to Zermatt so you’ll do it easily.

The times you have listed are fine and the connections are at the same station. The only potential issue you may have is if a train runs late. There’s usually plenty of others though.

Keep in mind quite a lot of trains in Europe require a seat reservation on top of the ticket price and the seat reservations are not transferable. So, if you miss the train you’ll have to buy another reservation.

Just make sure you catch the fast trains rather than the regional ones though.

Zermatt is a beautiful place, one of our favourites.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2024, 08:17 AM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
8 minutes between train operators in a busy station (Rome) is too tight. Especially with luggage as it appears will be your situation.

Speaking from experience across major European cities, Tokyo and Istanbul.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 08:51 AM   #4
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I’ve traveled extensively through Europe using trains and it is a great way to travel.

It’s only an 8 hour trip from Rome to Zermatt so you’ll do it easily.

The times you have listed are fine and the connections are at the same station. The only potential issue you may have is if a train runs late. There’s usually plenty of others though.

Keep in mind quite a lot of trains in Europe require a seat reservation on top of the ticket price and the seat reservations are not transferable. So, if you miss the train you’ll have to buy another reservation.

Just make sure you catch the fast trains rather than the regional ones though.

Zermatt is a beautiful place, one of our favourites.

Enjoy!
I got 4 days Eurailpass so I was hoping it doesn't take me 2 days to get my destination. I plan to use one day for Rome to Zermatt and another one from Zermatt to Munich, rest 2 days to use in Zermatt for the scenic rail. I see in Eurail planner that the only reservation I need to make in this trip is from Rome to Milano, rest should be covered. I will probably make the reservation as soon as I land in Rome. Hopefully the delay won't give me too much headache, my friend told me a lot about it, wouldn't want to deal with that on a 8-10 hour trip.
Attached Images

09-09-2024, 06:07 PM   #5
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
8 minutes between train operators in a busy station (Rome) is too tight. Especially with luggage as it appears will be your situation.

Speaking from experience across major European cities, Tokyo and Istanbul.
The 8 minute change is at Domodossola which, from memory, only has three or so platforms, plenty of time!

The 13 minutes at Milan is also plenty. There are only half a dozen or so platforms where the fast trains pull in and leave from.

I can recommend taking the first class ticket on the train from Rome to Milan as well. The Frecciarossa are as close to a Ferrari as you could possibly have in a train, leather seats and all!

Sweet or salty is the question

Depending on your schedule I can highly recommend the Bernini Express (Tirano to St Moritz) and then the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt. They are both spectacular!!

You could spend a night in St Moritz if you have the time?
Appreciate 2
chassis7544.00
      09-14-2024, 06:33 AM   #6
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
The 8 minute change is at Domodossola which, from memory, only has three or so platforms, plenty of time!

The 13 minutes at Milan is also plenty. There are only half a dozen or so platforms where the fast trains pull in and leave from.

I can recommend taking the first class ticket on the train from Rome to Milan as well. The Frecciarossa are as close to a Ferrari as you could possibly have in a train, leather seats and all!

Sweet or salty is the question

Depending on your schedule I can highly recommend the Bernini Express (Tirano to St Moritz) and then the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt. They are both spectacular!!

You could spend a night in St Moritz if you have the time?
Thanks for the advices. I actually find a better route, it's just going to leave late, but only 2 transfer.
Attached Images

HFW0036043.50